gardening. cooking. everyday echols family spectacles.
I started loving breakfast sandwiches in college. Before that, I thought the only breakfast sandwiches out there were “Egg McKillingyouslowlys” which, for some odd reason, I wasn’t crazy about :P I had no clue how awesome breakfast sandwiches could be until I figured out how to make my own.
These take all of five minutes and can go with you if you’re trying to rush out the door. Drive-thrus just can’t compete :)
1 english muffin
1 slice of ham (optional)
1 small handful spinach
1 slice swiss cheese
butter for pan
1) Melt butter in small skillet over medium heat.
2) Once pan is warm, crack egg in to preheated pan. Fry egg (I like to break the yolk and scramble the egg a bit while it’s cooking but feel free to cook the egg to your preference) and sprinkle with a dash of salt and pepper.
3) While egg is cooking, toast english muffin.
4) Once egg begins to firm up, flip so that uncooked side is facing down. Top egg with spinach and slice of cheese. Add ham (if using) to pan (beside the cooking egg) and brown slightly on both sides. When ham is finished, place on top of spinach and cheese. Leave “stack” in pan until egg is cooked to taste.
5) Place layered egg, spinach, cheese, and ham inside toasted english muffin and enjoy :)